It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 04:25 

Could anyone point me in the right direction with regard to any detail engineering drawings of any of the large steam cranes?
I am looking to build a 1-12" scale model.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 17:10 

Hi Philip,

Do you have any particular crane in mind (there are so many to choose from)?

The BDCA has quite a number of original and copy drawings in its collection, and it is possible for me to supply copies of some of these at cost. However, there is no type of crane for which we have a complete set of drawings (although we have General Arrangement drawings for quite a number), and realistically to build a model you are going to have to work extensively from photographs, or visits to photograph and measure a surviving crane if you choose a prototype which survives.

Further drawings do come up for sale on eBay from time to time, but generally the sellers have a completely unrealistic idea of their value (which is very little) and demand absurd prices. Since the BDCA has no income, it is not possible for us to buy these however much we would like to (although in the case of real rarities the Chairman or Secretary usually forks out)!

There is, for example, a seller at the moment who has a number of GA drawings and similar for sale, which he is selling in random sets of four sheets, and asking just under £30 per set. In my considered opinion, this is far too much for what they are (£30 for the lot, perhaps).

Your best bet might be to decide which crane you wish to model, and then I can tell you what, if any, drawings we might have. You might want to refer to Peter Tatlow's excellent "Railway Breakdown Cranes" vols 1 and 2 since this illustrates virtually every British crane, and has drawings of many.

I am sure that you are aware that a breakdown crane is a large and complex machine, and it is notable that very few people have sucessfully built large scale models of them over the years (there have probably only been half-a-dozen or so models of note in the last hundred years). They are far more complex than most locomotives, and there are far fewer drawings available.

Roger

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 03:23 

Roger

Thanks for the emailed information. I have procured a copy of volume one of Peter Tallow’s book and waiting to get hold of a copy of volume two.
You suggest that you have a few sets of drawings with more information than just general arrangement, could you tell me which model of crane that you have the most drawn information?

Regards

Phil

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2017, 03:19 

Any chance of a reply to the previous post????