It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 12:41 
BDCA Member

Hi,

I have just joined the forum; I posted a thread in the introduction forum. I had started a project to build a model of the GWR no 2 in 1 and 1/16" to the foot scale. (5" gauge). However I recently was given the opportunity to take over an in progress model. I'd like to give public credit to the originator but he doesn't want to be publicised on the internet at the moment. I know that Roger Cooke owner of GWR no2 is aware of the gentleman who is a fine model engineer.

I will be very happy to discuss the model with any of you and am particularly interested in any detailed information or photographs on the full scale GWR no 2. (I have copies of the drawings thanks to Roger Cooke.)

I am also interested to correspond with anyone building a model of the GWR no2 in any scale and also the MP3.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments:
File comment: This is a picture of the model about 18 months ago. Progress is a little further ahead than in the picture.
crane 3.jpg
crane 3.jpg [ 242.42 KiB | Viewed 34328 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 09:03 

Hi Steve,

I am really pleased that we have been able to help facilitate your purchase of this magnificent model, and that not only has it gone to a good home but one where we'll be able to follow its progress.

I, for one, and I know many others who are aware of this model, will be looking forward to seeing your updates in due course as it progresses.

I know of a few people who are building the recent 7mm finescale kit of GWR No 2 or 3, and one person who is building very HQ limited-run handbuilt-from-scratch 4mm models, but no-one else who is working on a live steam model besides yourself now.

Plus there is of course one idiot who's working on a 12"/ft scale version of the crane!

Good luck!

Roger

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 09:14 
BDCA Member

Hi, congratulations on your purchase!! You have entered a whole new world!!

So you will have seen my MP3 build post on this forum, its certainly a labour of love but I am suffering from many distractions such as work and car restorations. Have a look at my threads, if you have any questions please shout.

i will attempt to post any update shortly.

Thanks

Alex

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 09:41 

Alex, welcome back, long time no see!

How's your model coming on, and can we please have more photos? We like photos!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 21:30 
BDCA Member

Alex / Roger,

Thanks so much for the welcome and kind words of encouragement.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I am able. I am in the middle of moving house so everything is on hold. The good news is that the new house has a room which will make a very nice indoor workshop.

With respect to the crane I am still mostly spending time studying the drawings and putting them into autocad.

Thanks,
Steve

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 14:54 

Hello Steve
I am in the process of starting a build for a model of the MP3 which I understand is similar to the GWR 2. I have been informed that there is a crane at Cranmore which is what you are progressing. This I will try and visit next year if I can get permission.
I live close to Yeovil so not to far to travel. I have started to get the cad drawings underway for the MP 3 crane and if there is any common ground please say.
The model you have looks great and will be a super model when complete. I have built many locomotives ,and was looking for a different model,this I think will be a good challenge.
The scale I have chosen is 12" to the foot (5"g), not quite 5"g but does equate easily to the drawings.
The last post showed you as moving house,hope it was ok!
Regards
Bob Richards

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 19:28 
BDCA Member

Bob Richards wrote:
The scale I have chosen is 12" to the foot.

That seems like it will be a bit big. :D

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 16:49 

Bryan
Bit of finger trouble with the scale Bryan, thanks for pointing it out, I am using 1ins to the foot and not 1 and 1/16th to the foot, makes the conversion factors from full size easier.
Will progress the drawings after the festive season.
Regards
Bob R