It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: who can cut gears..
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 09:22 
BDCA Member

So, with various bits beginning to come together, I need to think about some gears. One gear that is particularly worrying is the Slew Ring which will be some 9" dia with 111 teeth.

I do not have the kit to make this, anybody know someone that can?

Other options of laser cutting and laminating or even casting are being investigated...

Thanks

Alex

Post subject: Re: who can cut gears..
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 09:40 

Alex, there are firms which advertise in magazines such as "Old Glory" which make replacement gears for restorations, but I suspect that your gears are probably a bit small for them!

Are you in touch with your local Model Engineering Society or group? I have over the years met several people, either model engineers or simply home workshop enthusiasts, who could probably do these for you. 9" dia is actually still quite small, and at least the majority of your gears are straight cut and should be pretty simple to machine (even making the cutting tool if necessary should be relatively simple). I know that many home workshop folk spend their lives making clocks, so presumably become master gear-cutters!

I'm not so sure about the worm/gears for the derricking drum, or the bevel gears for slewing and travel. They might require a little more skill.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 11:54 

Hi Alex

I will need to face this problem when I get to this stage. I have found a lot of info in the ME and EIM for those who cut their own gears and also advertisers who could cut them for you. Another source is the books by Sparey - The Amateur's Lathe and the Model workshop series which you probably already know about.

Good luck

Ian

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 21:50 
BDCA Member

Aaaahhh, the gears, the heart and soul of the model, and once you've got your head round them, the most enjoyable bit, especialy when they finally turn together. I must admit to cutting my teeth (excuse the pun) on a clock many years ago but of course our crane teeth have to be much stronger. Once you have decided on the tooth size, second hand commercial cutters are readily available from M/E exhibitions. Can you not raise the headstock on the lathe just for the slew ring, Alex?