It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wild Boar Model Crane
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 15:45 
BDCA Member

Wild Boar Model has 45ton Ransomes & Rapier breakdown crane kits in 4mm scale for sale (£150 plus P&P) based on LNER prototype.
Follow link: http://www.wildboarmodels.co.uk/products.php

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 19:34 

Interesting! I think that 3D printing is going to open up all sorts of possibilities as it becomes ever more affordable.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 16:29 

As a follow up to this thread, some while ago I contacted Wild Boar models and ordered up two of these kits in GWR 45-ton guise. They arrived this week.

What can I say? I am simply stunned by the level of detail in the kit and the parts (breathtaking!) and the quality of production of the kit, the quality and care taken with the packaging, and the quality, comprehensiveness, and ease of use of the instructions.

Whilst I am not completely unaware of the scope of 3D printing technology, this is the first time I have seen the product of first-class CAD design, printed on a top-quality, commercial 3D printer. I am in awe of the level of detail that has been achieved.

I will, when I get the chance, try to write a more thorough review and take some photos to post.

One detail which really appealed to me - the box the kit comes in has a foam liner with cut-outs for the components of the kit (actually there are relatively few components since the production method allows very intricate parts to be printed). Included in the box is a seperate preformed foam insert you can use for the finished model to protect it in a storage box. A very simple idea, but what a good one!

I agree that £150 may at initial assessment seem quite a high price for a "plastic kit", but the quality and detail is every bit as good as any finescale etched brass plus castings kit I have every seen, and the construction is so simple a child could built it. To get a finescale, high quality, and totally complete 4mm/ft crane for this price is unprecedented.

It really is very, very impressive, and Matthew Peers ("Mr Wild Boar") has done a stunning job and deserves congratulations ! I cannot recommend this kit too highly for anyone who wants a really good 4mm crane!