It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 23:20 
Newly Regd User

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and thought for a starters I would show you all my ex LMS 30 ton Cowans Sheldon crane I built for my layout Eastern Region diesel depot Hanging Hill.

Working from a 1970 ER Sectional Appendix I worked out that a rebuilt Hornby 75 ton crane would be too big for the size of loco depot I was modelling. A 30 ton would be about the correct size, and I had Peter Tatlow's article on the ex LMS 30 ton Cowans Sheldon cranes. One of them RS1075/30 or 330115 (ER number) became the regional spare. This was ideal as cranes were allocated to one depot for many years and at a model railway exhibition the chap who knows the history of your model crane would say "Crane number xyz would never have been at your depot in the 1960s etc. etc." So having the regional spare on shed meant I had a get out, Hanging Hill's own crane was under repair and the spare was in its place.

Attachment:
s006a.jpg
s006a.jpg [ 246.68 KiB | Viewed 16357 times ]

The model is scratch built from plastic card, including the gear wheels. I couldn't find a red paint that I was happy with in any of the railway colours. Luck had it my son was into Warhammer at the time and I borrowed his Games Workshop "Blood Red" which in my mind is a good representation of the crane red. The Games Workshop paints are excellent to use as well.

Attachment:
s007.jpg
s007.jpg [ 237.5 KiB | Viewed 16357 times ]

With its riding and stores vans.

Attachment:
390.JPG
390.JPG [ 75.38 KiB | Viewed 16357 times ]

The riding and mess van. Many ER depots had ex LNER Diagram 10 first restaurant cars as their riding vans. These coaches were rebuilt with new cooking equipment just before the BR designs of catering coaches were introduced, so on withdrawal they were snapped up for breakdown trains. The model is a modified Ian Kirk kit.

I do not have a photo of the tool van on its own but this too was modified from a Ian Kirk kit based on the tool van at Stewarts Lane. Somehow a converted ex LNER suburban coach ended on the SR.