It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 18:22 
BDCA Member

Any guess as to what sort of price range?

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 01:07 

No word on price yet, I'm afraid, but here is some more information on the initial versions:

http://bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=493

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 13:36 

Apparently the Bachmann 2018 price list is quoting the RRP for the crane as £249.99

The Bachmann crane is also discussed in detail, and shown in closeup, in this YouTude video. Well worth a look, scroll to approx 10 mins if you're not interested in the J72.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NiR7C2NyQ

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 18:57 
Site Admin

That seems not a bad price at all for such a detailed, complex and authentic model. I'd have been even more impressed if it were a straight £250!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 14:00 

I completely agree with your sentiment. For a model of that calibre I think it is very reasonable.

The argument that is coming from much of the model railway community seems to me to be along the lines of "I want one but can't afford it therefore Bachmann has priced it too high" which is an absurd argument. I'd like a Rolls-Royce, but I can't afford one. I wouldn't for a moment suggest that this fact means that Rolls (or BMW or VW or whoever it is that now owns RR) has set the price too high, it is just out of my league.*

Similarly for the crane. I am sure that there will be people who want one but can't afford it, but it doesn't make the price unreasonable.

I predict with great confidence that the entire production run will be sold before it even reaches the shops! I think that Bachmann has it right.

Every pre-order cancelled due to price is another crane available for someone who appreciates it.

* Actually I am being a little untruthful here in order to make a point. Even if I could afford a modern Rolls I wouldn't want one, I think that they are ostentatious and unappealing now, and I imagine that they attract vandals and jealousy like a bad smell attracts flies.