It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gauge 1 R&R 45T crane
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 14:53 
Newly Regd User

Hello
I am working on the design for this model - the intention is produce a model that is as accurate as possible with most functions radio controlled.
My problem is that, even with all the books, drawings and photos available, I still need more information. The logical solution would be to go to the Mid Hants Railway and photograph their one (it is the nearest) and talk to somebody who has operated it to get more information on how it works in practice. From previous experience I know it would be better to arrange a visit in advance rather than just turning up. Does anyone know who would be the best person to contact at the MHR?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 21:08 

Hi
Just picked up your post. This has taken me over a year to finish for my o gauge model.
I used the one at the Bluebell Railway

Attachments:
CAD Model 15-1-1.jpg
CAD Model 15-1-1.jpg [ 223.12 KiB | Viewed 10588 times ]

PostPosted: 21 May 2020, 22:12 
Newly Regd User

Hello
That looks good. You have beaten me to it. What software did you use to design it. Mine has been held up a bit by the need to get 4 new locos into production. I photographed the one on the Bluebell, but only one side, the other was inaccessible. Come to think of it the Bluebell is nearer than the Mid-Hants but the latter is the only one of the two that seems to be in use. My original idea was to use a single drive motor with working clutches for the various functions. Unfortunately that would require fully working geartrains (maybe 3D printed in metal). A later alternative is to provide an N20 motor/gearbox for each function with "dummy but working" gears 3D printed in plastic. I have an SLA (resin) 3D printer that would do a good job on the gears. Each motor would be hidden inside the drums or within the frames. Two problems - it would need 4 reversible speed controllers and how do I get it to drive the cylinders. Still thinking about it.
Cheers

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 16:55 

Hi.
I used Solidworks with the aim to teach myself parametric modelling, I think I have done that. I spent hours at the Bluebell with my tape measure and camera getting lots of drawings and photos of both the inside and out. I got permission to crawl all over it. The Bluebell Railway is only 10 min drive so I was back and forth quite a few times. Their crane will never steam again unless a lot of money is spent on it, it's in poor condition. I am just about to get the gears printed to finish off my model. Hope all goes well.
All the best.