It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: John Woolley Intro
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 10:30 
BDCA Member

Hi Gents

Just a few notes to introduce myself. I entered traffic allocated to Nottingham in the mid 1950’s and from an early age have been a rail enthusiast starting in the early 1960’s on the Great Central, where the highlight of the day was the Darnal class 37 on the afternoon York train!!!!! From the mid 1970’s my interest centred on rail photography which was assisted by the fact that I joined British Rail as a Technical Officer in the Signalling Design Office at Nottingham in 1974. My main photographic interest was locomotives and signalling however I was also attracted to breakdown cranes and throughout the 1970’s and early 1980’s photographed them when ever the opportunity presented itself. I also read at this time John Brownlie’s book to understand what I was photographing. In 1980 I was transferred to Toton and with the arrival of my family in the mid 1980’s the railway photography stopped. In 2007 it recommenced and with the advances in technology I am able to display the results of my efforts (including the 1970/80 images) on the internet. I was advised early on to provide captions for my efforts and in doing the research for these captions was fortunate to come into contact with Roger Cooke, David Withers and Peter Tatlow who have kindly supplied a lot of detailed information. I am still working on the railway on major signalling new works (although I was privatised in 1996) and although not directly involved in breakdown cranes was highly delighted to be invited to join the association.

Regards John
http://pics-by-john.photoblog.org.uk

Post subject: Re: John Woolley Intro
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 10:31 

John,

Welcome to the forum!

You are to be congratulated on both the quality and quantity of your online crane photos; you have some very intersting pictures, and it is kind of you to share them with us.

Roger