It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2013, 19:52 
BDCA Member

Hi.

I've been a member of the Great Western Society for number of years and am a licensed driver of both the 5 Ton Diesel and 6 Ton steam Smith Rodley rail-mounted cranes. Now I've taken on the project of getting our Cowans 50 Ton back into working order.

Fellow BDCA member, Pete Pickering, kindly came down to inspect it last week ..... and now I have A List Of Things To Do! :lol:

I propose to start work on it in the New Year and would like to ask if anyone in this Association would like to get involved.

Skills needed include no fear of heights,
experience in the of use of spanners, wire brushes, paint-scrapers and the like
enthusiasm for getting hands dirty (scale, rust, grease, paint, oil …. that sort of thing),
availability to work either during the week and/or at weekends
experience with boiler work
experience of welding
experience with the removal, refurbishing and refitting of boiler fittings
familiarity with 24V DC electric systems
familiarity with or no fear of learning the magical art of Applying Grease to Gears
enthusiasm for the potential opportunity for learning how to operate the crane, either as a Driver, Slinger, Banksman or Ground Crew - in this instance, standing around gazing in Awe and Wonder will be permitted!

I don’t anticipate that there will be many jobs that can have people simply thrown at them, so I don’t anticipate huge working parties. I’d like to organise the jobs so that the people who can do them turn up and do them - no standing about gazing in awe and wonder at other people working … :)

If you're interested, please contact me through this Site.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Peter Jennings