It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 21:38 
BDCA Member

Hello Everyone - I have recently become acquainted with Neil Cameron who in turn introduced me to David, who has very kindly invited me to become a member of The BDCA. I have a life long interest in The British Railways system, this interest spans over 50 years. I was actively involved with the preservation of Bulleid Pacific 34023, back in 1967, and am extremely privileged to have met O.V.S. Bulleid in connection with the then Preservation Appeal. On transfer from Nine Elms to the Longmoor Military Railway, 34023`s first home in preservation, I was fortunate enough to traverse the rail network of the LMR on Blackmoor Vale`s footplate, unfortunately she was not in steam!

I have long since held an interest and fascination in Railway Cranes. Whilst digitising my black and white photo collection recently, I came across two Cranes in action I had photographed, one during the reign of steam at Raynes Park in South West London, the other at Streatham Common again in South West London, in 1971. I feel very passionately about these Workhorses, often disregarded on Heritage Railways as unimportant and left to rot hidden out of general view of The Public. Their importance must not be overlooked, being of significant historical value and an undoubted asset as a practical and essential piece of equipment on any Heritage Railway. Sadly this is not the view taken by some in High Office on our Preserved Railways.

Post subject: Re: New Member
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 23:17 

A warm welcome, Peter, and thank you for letting us have your photos in the gallery!

Roger.