It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Graham Phillips
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 16:13 

Hi, I'm a volunteer on the Severn Valley Railway, home of Cowans Sheldon 30-ton steam crane RS 1087 although as the crane's based at Bridgnorth and I'm with Bewdley Wagon Repairs, I don't have any direct involvement with it.
I've recently taken up Meccano modelling and plan to build a series of SVR models.

First was GWR 813 to approximately 1/16 scale.

Next was a still incomplete freelance crane, also to 1/16 scale.

Having learned a lot from these two, and having seen the much higher standards of other Meccano models, I now intend to build a 1/12 scale model of RS 1087.

Post subject: Re: Graham Phillips
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 08:54 
Site Admin

Hello Graham.

Though you say quite rightly that other Meccano models of breakdown crane are of higher standard, I think yours is impressive for what it represents. I look forward to your eventual 1/12 scale model of RS1087/30.

Incidentally, I was surprised to see SVR's otherwise excellent web page on RS1087/30 report that they are unsure as to the validity of that number as the crane carries the number 1091 on the side.

Rob Morel raised this crane numbering issue with me three years ago. Between us (but mainly with Rob's input) we established that the crane is definitely RS1087/30, the incorrect number (from a scrapped crane) having been applied to its side during a repaint at SVR a short while earlier. I informed SVR of our findings at the time, with very clear evidence, and am surprised they seem still unsure.