It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 14:52 

Hello Everyone,

Just thought that a few words would be in order after gaining some valuable information from the forum.

I have had no previous experience with railway cranes but was in the Royal Navy where we used helicopters to lift stuff from ship to ship. My railway modelling projects have been focussed on the military side of invasions, both in 1940 and 1944. The attached thumbnails are the result of many lonely hours in hotel rooms. The model of the RMS Queen Mary model was a diversion from the guns and the army.

The thought did occur to me that sooner or later a crane would be needed to lift guns onto railway trolleys and large crates out of well trucks. So this end I have started to get interested in the various categories of cranes. My next great project is the harbour at Folkestone which featured two gantry cranes on the southern pier. These should be fairly straightforward to build so I will trying out a kit from Iain Young of the SR R+R from WW2 to challenge my model building skills. I have posted some photos of a crane in the model gallery from a recent trip to Bill McAlpines.

Will be happy to respond to any comments on my models, thanks for looking, David

Attachments:
RMSQueenMary Model C small.jpg
RMSQueenMary Model C small.jpg [ 119.05 KiB | Viewed 16451 times ]
Model Railarty SpadeWagon 3 Oct2012 smallTN.jpg
Model Railarty SpadeWagon 3 Oct2012 smallTN.jpg [ 138.54 KiB | Viewed 16451 times ]
Model Railarty 12inHow 6 Oct2012 TN.jpg
Model Railarty 12inHow 6 Oct2012 TN.jpg [ 196.5 KiB | Viewed 16451 times ]