It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 06:58 

Ladies and Gent's
When I was young and stupid, I worked for the Plant and Machinery Dept. at Edge Hill between 1974 and 1977. My father, Ted Eves, was the plant engineer at Edge Hill who was the responsible engineer for the said cranes. Now at 87 he can no longer remember the numbers of the cranes.
One of the many pieces of kit I worked upon was the breakdown cranes at Allerton TMD.
I recall them being a Cowans Sheldon and a Craven 50T(?) cranes.
During the clean-up of the Weaver Junction Accident in August 1975, I was tasked with coaling the Allerton crane. It was a long, hot, coal dusty week for me. The Crewe Crane was coaled by their own folk, I seem to recall.
I would be very interested in knowing the numbers of either of the cranes from Allerton.

On a personal note, having transferred to the S&T in 1977, I retire on the 24th May 2019, having completed 45 years on the railway.

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 16:16 

Hi Brian,

I believe that the two cranes you describe are these:-

RS1091/30 was a Cowans Sheldon 30-ton "modernisation plan" crane delivered in 1961 and initially allocated to Saltely. It was reallocated to Allerton in Feb 1969, and was later renumbered ADM1091/30 (the match truck number was ADB 998524). Some time later it moved to Chester (West) where it remained until sold to the Severn Valley Railway on 24/06/1977. Although initially serviceable and operated at the SVR, it eventually was used as a source of spare parts for another similar crane, RS1087/30, and the remains were scrapped in November 2010.

There are presently two photos of this crane, in steam at the SVR, in the BDCA gallery, see here.

The other crane was the Cravens 50-tonner MP9. This was ordered as a 36-ton crane by the LMS in May 1930, and initially allocated to Newton Heath upon delivery in 1931. It was rebuilt from 36 tons at 24' to 50 tons at 18' at Loughborough in 1938, after which it was allocated to Willesden in 1939. It was renumbered RS1015/50 in 1941. It was also one of the cranes involved clearing up after the Harrow and Wealdstone triple collision in 1952. In 1962 it moved to Derby, then back to Willesden 1965, and finally moved to later Allerton although I don't have any record to show when. It received its last works overhaul in 1970, so it is likely that it went to Allerton upon completion of this overhaul. It TOPS number was ADRV95206. It was sold from Allerton to the Bahamas Locomotive Society at Dinting Railway Centre in February 1982, and when Dinting Railway Centre closed in September 1990 it was transferred to Ingrow on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway where it can be found today.

There are presently 24 photos of this crane in the BDCA gallery, see here.

If it is of interest, there is a copy of the official report into the Weaver Junction Accident available online on the Railways Archive website, at http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=400

Congratulations on your long career on the railways, and I wish you a long and happy retirement. If you happen to have any photos of the cranes which you have taken over the years and which you would consider letting us use in the BDCA Gallery, we should be delighted.

Roger

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 18:45 
BDCA Member

Is that Brian Eves ex of Holbeck?
I was in the renewals office next door.

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 21:11 

Hi Bryan
Yes its the same one, now in Grain Bank Doncaster.
I've got 15 days left to work, great feeling.

Brian

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 09:58 
BDCA Member

Hi Brian
I was a crane driver at Allerton and was at weaver junc in 75, I remember you and your dad as I had served a year of my apprentice ship at the P&M. the Craven crane arrived at Allerton in early 75 and was only just ready for Weaver after having its Derrick rope renewed after damaging it at Northwich depot putting a new fuel tank in. Hope you enjoy your retirement. I have after 46 years of railway work.

Kevin Jarvis