It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 18:06 
BDCA Member

Thanks all for the info, but to get back to my original request, any info or piccies on the 4 wheel trolleys?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 19:11 
BDCA Member

John Cafearo wrote:
Thanks all for the info, but to get back to my original request, any info or piccies on the 4 wheel trolleys?

I think you misunderstood about the trollies, the ones I refered to were for the MFD, the only 4 wheel type trolly was the emergency bogie, I will try & find a picture of one but can`t promise anything

Chris

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 16:21 
BDCA Member

I've been in the same boat as Chris, only i had a loaded bogied ballast wagon chasing me down the beam on a 6" cant, luckily the end of the mess van was in the way and stopped it!! I have had to lift and move bodily locos, coaches and wagons from track to track because of track damage at a derailment site, so it wasn't that unusual. later a petrol driven MFD pump was available which was a lot lighter and a lot easier to start. If i go back to my aprentice days i can remember being high jacked to go with the vans as they were short of staff and the MFD was the first build stuff, everything made of steel or cast iron and powered by water. The modern aluminium alloy stuff was a doddle in comparison. You couldnt carry the pump no matter how many men you had, it was lifted by a crane out of the end of the van and left where it landed, a constant procession of men was needed to keep the water tank topped up!!

Bob

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 00:13 
BDCA Member

Thanks Chris, emergency bogie sounds more like what I was thinking about; confusion in terminoligy on my part, I only know about old steam ships and multi-stage pumps!! John