It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 20:09 
BDCA Member

My interest in Rail Cranes started in all honesty as in interest in something different!
Brake Vans, track-machines, road-railers, Industrials and Rail Cranes all form part of my interest in railways. I run two Yahoo-groups : Road_Gen (watching Britains Railways move by road), and 01-5shunters (Network Rail registered Industrial Shunters).

Like many other members of the group, I have worked for various Railway companies stretching back a number of years, with duties ranging from office based, to shunting, to signalling, and with a hand kept in at a number of preservation groups (none of which have railcranes!).

Through my interest in Industrial Railways, I became interested in Industrial Rail Cranes (of which I'll have to admit, there are very few survivors, and seemingly fewer each month as more and more meet the cutting torch), and eventually have taken on the Role of the Industrial Railway Society, Railcranes handbook Editor (taken over from David Monk-Steel, previously Chris Gee), with the aim of producing the 3rd Edition of "Industrial Rail Cranes of the British Isles". This is in need of some amendments to bring it up to date, and hopefully, should be available for publication in 2011 (though I have promised this last year too).

The IRS also took on the railcrane and photographic collection of John Gardner. I've taken on the roll of Railcrane archivist and hold some archive material and lists. I DO NOT have access to the photographic archive of cranes at present, though hopefully these will be made available in due course. The Works Lists will be made available as time permits through IRS publications - the first of these is to be a Taylor & Hubbard Works list, which requires re-editing, and some additional information adding to it.

I often get asked if I can give out information regarding various cranes, manufacturers or countries, which, I will try to help out where I can. Due to my work, shifts and various other commitments, I cannot always respond, let alone answer individual queries - I simply do not have time!

I have an extra interest in Rogers, Crane builders of Stockton-On-Tees - my hometown - but there is very little information available on this company, other than a catalogue in Reading Museum of Rural Life, and a vague reference in 'Brownlie'.

Through the IRS I have met a number of others who have interests in Cranes, and also correspond regularly with Chris Capewell, and also the moderators of the On-Track-Plant Website.

I hope this gives a good background of my interests.

Alex Betteney
Railcranes Officer
Industrial Railway Society

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2011, 11:10 
Site Admin

Alex Betteney wrote:
I hope this gives a good background of my interests.

Indeed it does, Alex. A most interesting and well constructed introduction!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 12:27 
BDCA Member

Welcome to the Forum Alex