It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Tatlow book
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012, 11:27 
Site Admin

Peter's book seems to receive endless praise, and rightly so!

I believe that the "commission" to which Brian modestly refers is his book "A Work of Titans" about the Swan Hunter 'Titan' floating cranes. Brian has followed in the footsteps of John Brownlie and published the book privately and at his own expense, hence I'm sure you will excuse a rare exemption from our strict "breakdown cranes only" policy when I tell you a little about it:

I haven't yet seen Brian's book for myself but I understand that it has 104 pages in an attractive 250mm x 250mm format on high quality paper with soft covers, with over 90 photographs and drawings, most of which are published for the first time. It sells at printer's cost, for £24 if you can collect from North Tyneside, or £27 posted first-class to anywhere in the UK. Anyone interested in purchasing a copy, or learning more about it, can either send a PM (Private Message) to Brian via this forum or drop me an email (secretary@bdca.org.uk) for forwarding.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012, 22:21 
BDCA Member

David,

The "commission" is a major work in progress which Historic Scotland have engaged me to write as many Giant cantilever cranes were designed and built by a small number of Glasgow firms. The Work of Titans book is already (self) published; the 50-odd copies of the first edition went very quickly. I have repeated the order (for the final time) for those who expressed a wish to have a copy which at that time I couldn't supply. BDCA member Chris Capewell, with whom I have corresponded on analogous topics over a number of years, was one of those who bought one of the first batch. A small number are still available.

best wishes to all

Brian

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 07:52 
Site Admin

My apologies, Brian.

I'd read the story of your 'Work of Titans' book in the Shields Gazette and other internet publications and should have realised that it wasn't the result of a "commission". In fact I knew it wasn't, so no excuse!

Hopefully my mistake wasn't in vain and the remaining copies of the book will be snapped up!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 17:24 
BDCA Member

By chance I found this article today. 9-7-12
http://www.culture24.org.uk/history%20% ... /art391749?

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/