It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 10:53 
BDCA Member

It was somewhat annoying, that program, as it made out that the crane lads were heros of the day......did not take into account any of the prelimb work we had to do, or the mass of individuals involved.

The wagons were emptied by this stage so reduced to about 22 tonnes each, but using the rail cranes to recover would have meant moving the wires, and the wagons needed to be moved by road as they were badly damaged, there was nowhere that we could tranship to road trucks as the rail cranes would not have the reach.

Actually there were three wagons taken away, the two on their side and one that was still attached to the train, at one point in the program you can hear a 66 in the background, that was me shunting the train about to get the last wagon out.

I'm not decrying what the crane lads did, but it does not portray the real night's events, they were not in charge of the lifts, my colleagues from DB were, with advice from me where required.

I am seen at one point towards the end of the program, but for some reason, they didn't show the bit where I'm shouting and swearing at someone for being a bit of a prat.....

I have to admit though, that was one serious crane, although it was one on sub hire from Mamout rather that the contractors of Ainscough.

Cheers

Simon