It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 10:58 

I have just found that there's a pdf of the above document available on-line at

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRWRCranesSHFeb1972Issue.pdf

Roger

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 19:27 
BDCA Member

Does this answer the question about individual weights of the make up of the Steam Cranes?
i.e. Main crane, Relieving Bogies etc
I think it was queried earlier this year.

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2013, 10:37 

There was a discussion on this subject (it concerned, if I remember, the transport of the 75-tonner from Shackerstone) but the diagram book didn't really answer the question since in that case the weight of the crane without jib was needed.

It is also evident that the weights quoted in the diagram book don't always align with the actual weights!

Incidentally a NE crane diagram book was listed in the latest Robert Humm catalogue, which I received yesterday. Despite immediately ringing, it had unfortunately already been sold. I don't suppose that it was a contributor to this forum who bought it?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 22:36 
BDCA Member

By the time I got involved, we had to use a comparator to try and sort out the wheel loads to try and even it up. Not so much to stop it de-railing, but to prevent spring hanger bolt failure - they could survive the odd leaf broken, but a hanger bolt - much more serious.

The comparator consisted of 2 small hydraulic jacks on a frame such that you could hook it under a wheel with jacks either side. Jack the wheel just off the rail, and read the pressure gauge. Release the pressure, move onto the next wheel and so on all the way round the carriage.

Now assess where a wheel is light, and tighten the spring hanger bolts and do it all again.

By the way, the entire crane had to stand on straight and level track. Ever tried to find any outside a depot?