It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 00:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 09:37 

Whilst not a breakdown crane and hence strictly outside the scope of this Association, I thought I would post an email which we have received from the owner of 1952-built Grafton 10 ton steam crane DRG80103. The email reads:-

The owner wrote:
I am the owner of a Grafton steam crane currently based at Colne Valley Railway:

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org ... p?Ref=8279

This is the best picture and details I could find easily.

I am putting out a plea to other preserved railways as I have been told to remove it from the railway by 30th November or it will be 'cut up' on-site. This seems a shame as it still has a lot of useful years left in its life so was hopeful someone might be interested in utilising it? I will pay transportation costs.

The crane itself is self-propelling so isn't dependent on being push/pulled by a loco and was refurbished a few years ago. It is complete and the boiler has been restored but has never been re-ticketed. The main reason for this being CVR have never been interested in realising it's potential. It does however require a repaint of the jib, re-certification of the wires, new vacuum hoses and of course re-ticketing, something I am willing to pay for.

The 60' Runner Wagon DE 320878 was originally, I believe, the base for a turn of the century coach and had 'Fox' bogies. These have been replaced recently by refurbished Commonwealth bogies following a 'swap' organised by the Vintage Carriages Trust at North York Moors Railway. Again, the runner requires new vacuum pipes which I am willing to pay for. Whilst away for a 'bogie swap' 5k was spent on refurbishment of the 'undercarriage' and new planking around the sides of the runner. The runner has also been ‘re-boarded’ with a metal deck for safety and durability.

I hope this opportunity might be of interest to yourselves or you might be able to point me in the direction of someone else? I look forward to hearing from you.

If anyone has, or knows of, a suitable new home for this crane, or can help the owner in any way, please either reply to this topic or contact me through the BDCA and I will put you and the owner in touch.

It would be a shame if another essentially complete and serviceable crane was lost for want of a home.

Roger

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 23:24 
BDCA Member

If a railway society cannot be found to take on this crane, I would be prepared to home it in my collection rather than see it scrapped.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 09:42 

Roy,

I'll send you the contact details of the owner via a private message so that you can get in touch with him if you wish.

Thanks,

Roger.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2018, 12:10 

Could you put me in touch too please.