It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2022, 06:42 
BDCA Member

I’m seeing pictures of a significant (freight) derailment just outside Carlisle. Multiple cranes are going to be required and probably a solid week of re railing, followed by a lot of track relaying.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2022, 08:33 

There are now many pictures of this online, and it does appear to be awkward. I don't think it would be a difficult clear-up with rail cranes, but the limited road access to the side of the line where the two bulk cement tanks are in the river would make a road crane recovery tricky. It will be interesting to see how it is tackled.

Interesting also to learn the cause, I would hazard a guess that it was running derailed when it met the trailing turnout and was deflected towards the river.

It looks as thought B&Q narrowly avoided a rather large cement delivery!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2022, 23:13 

An 800-tonne capacity road mobile crane is now erected, after a major engineering operation, on the opposite side of the line to the overturned wagons. I can only speculate about the cost of this, the groundworks needed to support the crane have reportedly been significant.

I can't help but think that not many years ago this would have been sorted quickly and quietly with a couple of rail-mounted cranes.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2022, 00:14 

I agree with you Roger as a former crane driver at springs branch 2 rail cranes would have had the site cleared while the people in charge these days were still trying to plane how to clear the site.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2022, 09:04 
BDCA Member

I agree with both Roger and Derek as a former crane driver at Brighton myself. I would add that we were lucky enough to have a good working relationship with the P Way and we would have pulled together and just got the job done.