It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cranes in action 2011
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2011, 12:52 
BDCA Member

Would it be possible for group members who have a crane based at various preservation sites around the country to post any dates these cranes will be "in steam" and in action?
----Possibly a new section on the forum to advise proposed dates.?-----
I'm sure many members have visited sites on advertised running days only to see the cranes in question tucked out of the way or sheeted over or worse still behind a barrier and out of public view.
Thanks in advance for any replies
-
and whilst you are looking here, what chance of group "charters" (and meet up) at sites that have operational cranes allowing photography and a good look round, with ample opportunities to fill your collection tins i'm sure to boost restoration/running funds. A good crowd puller i'm sure .
Rob

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2011, 22:40 
Site Admin

Good ideas, Rob.

Publishing steam BDC working dates should not be too difficult, however (with ours at least) it can be quite difficult to give operating times.

We might light up at 08.00 so as to be ready to go at 10.00, but then we might have to await the completion of shunting operations or Civils preparation work. Or a small problem with the crane might come to light, the correction of which could take minutes or hours.

Our next operating day at Wansford on the NVR is Sunday, 3rd April. That is a mixed traffic gala day and we will be doing simple demonstration lifts of something like a bogie. We may also lift a small loco boiler onto a well-wagon as that is a job that needs doing sometime. I would expect the lifts to commence at around 11.00 and finish around 16.30. I'll be pleased to show any BDCA members over the crane when we've finished the lifts.

We are then booked to assist with laying pointwork and crossover, etc, at Ferry Meadows on Thursday and Friday, 7th and 8th April, in preparation for the erection of a museum building. I have no idea of the timing of the lifts as we will be at the beck and call of the Civils dept 'as required'. Also it's not a public day, though I would expect there to be public access to the station platform as usual and this ought to be fine as a viewing point (but no guarantee!).

Rob, I'm not sure that there will be sufficient 'operating date' postings to justify a new section on the forum but suggest we put any such posts here, under News and Sightings, and see how it goes.

Our 3-man NVR crane team have spoken a couple of times about the possibility of photographic sessions/charters but have not set about arranging such. I'll raise the issue again, though any go-ahead will need prior approval by the NVR management.....

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 10:43 
BDCA Member

Looks like one of the NYMRs 2 45t cranes is going out for a run, it will be the Grosmont based crane 95224 Cowans Sheldon.

Taken from the NYMR webpage
http://www.nymr.co.uk/special-events/spring-steam-gala/

Goods trains including photographic run-pasts (and a possible outing for the breakdown train on 1 day – to be confirmed)

As soon as I find out what day I will post details.

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 10:57 
BDCA Member

Breakdown crane 96710 (CS 31146/1977) worked Thursday 7 April on re-railing autoballaster wagon at Doncaster Carr yard. seen by Adrian Booth

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 12:56 
BDCA Member

That episode at Doncaster Carr - Photograph courtesy Adrian Booth

Attachments:
Pictures 2011.jpg
Pictures 2011.jpg [ 99.66 KiB | Viewed 16907 times ]

PostPosted: 13 May 2011, 10:57 
BDCA Member

I am informed by a ‘narrow gauge’ source that Cheesmans 15” gauge BDC should be at Leighton Buzzard this weekend, and might be in steam.

CC