It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NVR derailment
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 18:18 
BDCA Member

Unconfirmed report of a derailment of 70000 at Yarwell on the NVR.
Would this mean that a certain Crane in the area might have some work to do?
http://intheworks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2746

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

Post subject: Re: NVR derailment
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 22:51 
Site Admin

Shame about the derailment... and a shame I'm not still driving the crane! :(

I can't access the ITW forum (they don't allow viewing by non-members!) but I'd guess that the derailment was associated with running round the train at that end of the line. In that case it was possibly a partial derailment rather than all wheels off as the loco would (or should) have been travelling quite slowly.

I don't know of any instance at the NVR where the 40-ton crane has attended the recovery of a derailed in-service loco, and the 95-ton Britannia could take it close to its limit even for an end lift with the tender split off. I assume jacks and/or re-railing ramps will be used in this instance.

Having said that, I doubt if Peter Woad would have shied away from tackling an end-by-end re-railment of a loco of that size when he was driver of the crane in the 1970s. And I'm sure his brother Les would have been happy to supervise the operation.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 17:16 
BDCA Member

This is a comment made today on the Works site.

"Britannia was reversing back onto the train at Yarwell across the new cross over tender first when the rear axle of the bogie came off the track.

As it stands, and until the locomotive and track are fully examined it would be unfair to speculate on the causes.

With Britannia still fouling the points at Yarwell and the continental stock stuck behind it, we will have the mark 1 set and freight set out tomorrow running Wansford - Peterborough."

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 22:30 
BDCA Member

Ref. David's comment, would have had ago, lifted a few Class 37's with her and they are heavy.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 09:06 
Site Admin

I thought so, Peter!

As it happens, from what Bryan has told us, I doubt if a crane could be got into position in the case of the NVR derailment as it is on nominally single track and there is no rail access from the other end. No road access either, and no MFD gear.

In my days at the NVR, I was involved in re-railing an 0-6-0 loco which had derailed all-wheels at the other end of the line, and the crane which had two or four wheels off in the yard (twice!). All involved using screw-jacks and packing/ramps, and b....y hard work it was too. I never had the satisfaction of re-railing with the crane.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 18:04 
BDCA Member

link to image of incident -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76451376@N02/8501530962/

The use of rerailing ramps appropriate here??

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 21:42 
Site Admin

Thanks for the link, Rob.

Looks like the crane could get to it after all, perhaps even end-on, but it might not be sensible to load an 82-year-old to such an extent. I suppose that re-railing ramps could be used, as you suggest, but that's no-where near as satisfying as using the power of steam!

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 23:47 
BDCA Member

David. As I understand it, the loco was running tender first towards Wansford when it derailed at the Wansford end of the loop. The wheelset off the road was the 'far end' and not easily reachable by the crane?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 10:41 
Site Admin

It seemed to me from the photo that the loco was facing Wansford smokebox-first, but it looks like I was mistaken (which is far from unusual). The situation as I saw it was as follows:

As Yarwell halt is entered from the Wansford direction, on the left is the platform behind which is a water-filled quarry and on the right is a line of bushes behind which is more water. The photo appeared to me to have been shot from the platform side in which case the loco would be facing Wansford smokebox-first. Unless things have changed, there is strictly no public access to the other side of the track.

On the other hand, the locos at the NVR generally run smokebox-first to Yarwell because they start and finish the day that way round outside the Running Shed. Clearly the photo was shot from well beyond the extent of the platform and I now recall that the bushes there look similar to the ones in the photo, so it does seem to have been shot from the non-public side of the track. I concede that this was the most likely scenario, and so no crane lift possible!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 20:54 
BDCA Member

Britannia was facing East, towards Wansford. She was astride the central crossover in the long loop, blocking both roads and preventing extraction of the coaching stock that formed her train. A lift by MP3 would have been entirely feasible - we were in steam and could have been on-site in less than an hour. However it was decided that jacking and packing was the way to go and after a couple of unsuccessful attempts on Saturday evening the loco was left so that owners could review the situation. On Sunday, further efforts between 0930 and 1430 were successful and she was returned (not under her own power) to Wansford yard. Following a pit inspection, she was lit-up and should have been ready for duty first thing Monday.