It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slew Clutch
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 00:35 
BDCA Member

Last weekend's steaming saw S1561 slewing for the first time in 25 years. There appears to be way too much excess play in the operating yoke on the clutches. I can engage one clutch but the other will not engage as the screw is on full travel before the clutch starts to move.
Anyone got any ideas on how to rectify this?
I am going to try a shim in the top selector just to see if I can select both clutches, just as a check.
I have been informed that they were not looked at when the drive shaft was out at Southall because they couldn't get the selector apart.
Thanks,
Pete P

Post subject: Re: Slew Clutch
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 12:06 

Not sure offhand but I'll make some enquiries. Can you remind me if your slewing clutches have Ferodo linings or are metal-to-metal on 1561?

I doubt it affects the means of adjustment but if you've lost a lining you may get the problem you describe. Are the clutch fork pivots excessively worn?

I suppose the first thing is to establish if the clutches are excessively worn (seems unlikely) or if the operating mechanism is the culprit.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 18:14 
Site Admin

Roger,

To avoid potential duplication, please note that I have already raised Pete's question with one of the co-owners of DS1580. He has replied that he has a relevant drawing, they have adjusted theirs in the past, and he will discuss with his fellow co-owner.

I'd say that you are correct in intimating wear of the friction linings to be unlikely as the cause. The friction linings on the similar arrangement on 36/40-tonner MP3 have not needed replacement in the last 30 or more years of use.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 01:00 
BDCA Member

It appears to be the slots in the ring that presses onto the clutch (or the "pin" that goes into it). There is about 1/4" gap when the clutch lever is screwed over one way, or the other. Both clutch ferodo linings appear to be ok (3/8" thick)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 08:36 
Site Admin

Oops! I wasn't aware that the slew clutch on S1561 has Ferodo friction linings. The slew clutch on MP3 is metal-to-metal so my comment about "similar arrangement" needs to be ignored!

Clutch engagement and disengagement on MP3 was smooth and strong, but I assume that S1561 was given Ferodo linings to enhance the grip under adverse side-loading conditions.