It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2015, 10:05 
BDCA Member

Thank you, Roger. Extremely useful in helping me to decide.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 18:27 
Newly Regd User

The Didcot crane was red right up to the end. I remember it in 1984 at Haymarket depot, and the furore when the HSE lady went bananas because they repainted it "red" and not yellow! With the oncall officer one early morning we had to recover a Mk3 sleeper which had got shunted over the stop blocks on a servicing road at Craigintinny. The crane was summoned and unable to get the props out due to the concrete platforms we lifted FOR at beyond the limit indicated by the load board. I recall an estimated 28 tons at a propped radi of limit of 24. My job was to watch the wheels on the offside and we only just lifted up enough to get the blade of a shovel between rail and wheel tread. The driver beamed at me ( I was younger then) and said the crane was built strong. If only Ide had my camera! The crane attended the morpeth crash and the Polmont crash that I know of, and the poor old thing was raced without a hitch to the events, but a gentle tow to the other end of the depot for an open day always resulted in a hot box or two.
The gear oiler points on her (?) were a bugger to get to. A real contortion, and you had to have very long arms. Funny...I got that job!
All the best Mike . Personally I think black doesnt really suite the double lattice jib. I might even have a haymarket transfere somewhere...

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 20:21 
BDCA Member

What a cracking lot of memories! Thank you!
Well, she certainly will not be yellow! Some of my group want to paint her LM Lake; I prefer red, with a white jib-head .... I manage the funds! I buy the paint .....
We're in the process of removing all the old rotten timber from the Jib Runner and coming across all sorts of goodies, like a bracket that's very securely fixed to the frames, but holds nothing anywhere .... oh, and the Mini-bar ... with empty tins of Lilt and Coke. And why was a hole cut in the steel sheet that's fitted between the crane-end of the wagon and the area where the hook rests, next to the hook-securing winch and chain?
Kind regards,
Peter

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 20:23 
BDCA Member

May I please use your memories on the Great Western Society Crane web page?

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2018, 17:41 

Hi As your been painted yet and if so what colour did you settle on.There is a good photo in the galleryof the ex springs branch crane after a works refeb.I was one of the drivers of it.