It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 16:51 
BDCA Member

Not the best of news, I regret to say. While work was being carried out on the boiler recently, it was noticed that there were cracks between a number of the rivets around the foundation ring. We have therefore decided to remove the ring and establish the state of the ring, the shell and the fIrebox in that area. This discovery has possibly set the project back another year, given the Society's boiler-smiths' current workload.

Also, while we were removing the steam pipes, it became apparent that little or no lubrication appeared to be getting through to the cylinders, as evidenced by the extreme rustiness of the pipes' interior, so I am considering replacing the clearly inoperative displacement lubricator with a mechanical one. I'd be interested to receive any observations. I can provide photos, but they are too big for uploading here, despite being compressed.

On a brighter note, the Insurance inspector visited earlier in the year and pronounced the crane mechanically sound and hugely over-engineered, probably capable of lifting well over the nominated 50 tons.

When we received the crane from BR back in the 80s, included were many sets of lifting brackets, including those for Class 40 and Class 44, 45 and 46 diesels and I wonder what the interest would be in acquiring them from us?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 12:13 
BDCA Member

Plenty of use for lifting brackets in the preservation world, worth an advert here perhaps??
http://www.tractionads.co.uk/

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 11:14 
BDCA Member

Thanks, Rob.