It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MORPETH 1994
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 08:24 
BDCA Member

On the 27th June 1994 the Thornaby crane was called to Morpeth, I attach an image of it. The train was empty postal stock being hauled by 47783. The locomotive and many of the postal vans had overturned, the track was severely damaged and some of the overhead wire structures lay horizontal. The postal vans were recovered without much difficulty using the BDC but the locomotive was left because it was clear of the main line and the priority was to re-open the line. The locomotive was much more of a challenge, it had come to rest approximately sixty foot away from the nearest rail and the use of carnage was not an option so the locomotive was jacked upright and then jacked sideways at the same time being manoeuvred between overhead wire structures and then onto the track. The track at that point has a cant of 150mm (the maximum) and the locomotive was lifted over the high side of the cant. This was the most challenging jacking job that I have been involved with and very satisfying to complete. The M.F.D. jacking equipment is a good kit and is probably the main reason for the vast reduction in Breakdown Cranes.

Dick

Attachments:
morpeth 1994.jpg
morpeth 1994.jpg [ 237.78 KiB | Viewed 22806 times ]

Last edited by Dick Watson on 01 Feb 2011, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MORPETH 1994
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 10:58 
BDCA Member

The new book "modern traction rail mishaps - a pictorial study" by CJ Marsden / CG Perkins
(ISBN 978-0-9557887-4-1) £23, shows a black & white image of this incident, but shows a Bedford/Bruff towing one of the "super BG" coaches through the station.
Gateshead or Tyneyard Bruff possibly as registration not visible.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 12:29 
BDCA Member

Rob,
Yes it was the Tyneside Bruff our road vehicles from what I remember were only used for transporting the crew too and from the job.

Dick

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 13:54 

Rob Morel wrote:
The new book "modern traction rail mishaps - a pictorial study" by CJ Marsden / CG Perkins
(ISBN 978-0-9557887-4-1) £23, shows a black & white image of this incident, but shows a Bedford/Bruff towing one of the "super BG" coaches through the station.
Gateshead or Tyneyard Bruff possibly as registration not visible.

I hadn't heard of this book until I read this post, but my copy arrived this morning. Some excellent photos of cranes at work, but why oh why are modern authors unable to write sensible, accurate, and gramatically-correct captions? Sadly those in this really let the book down.

Two examples - (1) a portrait photo (P120) of either DS1560 or DS1561 (45-ton crane with relieving bogies) captioned as DS81 (a 36-ton crane with no relieving bogies). It's really not hard to tell them apart, especially as the next page has a good photo of DS80. (2) A photo of ADRC95223 clearly showing the words "TO LIFT 36 TONS" on the jib and the caption states that it "had a 45 tonne [sic] lift capacity". There are, sadly, plenty more such silly mistakes.

Overall verdict, disappointing.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011, 10:13 
BDCA Member

The first 117 pages are ok and list various accidents and incidents over the years but the section "cranes & recovery equipment" (p118-123) i'll agree with Roger and say yes a little disappointing, especially with plenty of good images around of cranes in action.
The orange iveco truck on p 119 centre is not even a recovery vehicle, it contains a walk in box body fited with benches,tables,a display screen, small kitchen and does not carry any other equipment, it visits various depots to promote safe working and is available to attend accident/derailment sites to provide welfare facilities/conference facilities and is one of 5 such trucks inuse, a photo of one of the other road/rail vehicles would have been better suited.
=
Can we "pool" our resources and have our own association book with members submitted images and stories I wonder!

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 12:41 

Rob Morel wrote:
Can we "pool" our resources and have our own association book with members submitted images and stories I wonder!

An excellent and interesting idea!