It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 12:48 
BDCA Member

I was recently reminded that whilst this crane was a Scottish Region machine it was reportedly lightened to increase its route availability

Does anyone know how it was lightened? - e.g. openings cut out of the frames?; jib steelwork altered?, smaller capacity diesel and/or lube oil tanks? etc?

It was the one cut up for spares when the fleet was refurbished in the late 1990s; assumedly due to its state of repair. Was the reported deterioration ( jib corrosion was mentioned I believe? ) anything to do with the lightening carried out.

Can it be confirmed whether the cutting up was actually at Gateshead MPD site ( which I was told ) or was the crane at Clark Chapmans works?

Is any photograph of it at that time known?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 17:32 
Site Admin

Chris,

I can't answer your questions... but you may have answered one of mine!

For some time I've been watching for information as to the CS order numbers and initial allocations of ADRC96711 and ADRC96712. Please are you able to confirm that '96711 was allocated when new to the BR(Sc) region, and can you fill in any of the other blanks that I've mentioned?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 19:12 
BDCA Member

Chris,
I have a little information regarding 96711.

When Eastfield Depot closed in 1992 the crane and tool vans were moved to Thornaby and following staff training it was used at Thornaby. It was used a small number of times but proved to be very unreliable and in so many areas of the crane, that much so I attached 96705 to the tool vans as well during that period.

It was decided to withdraw 96711 to cannibalize it of usable parts. 96711 was moved to Tyne Yard and moved to Clarke Chapman by road from there. I know this because I was there, I always carried my camera whilst at work but unfortunately no photographs were taken of this.

I was not aware at the time that this crane was lightened to change its RA but it had a revised duty this was due to several of the center pin casting bolts being sheared at some time whilst it worked in Scotland. Is it possible that the RA and the revised duty have been wrongly connected or did the crane have revised duty and different RA to the others?

Dick

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 06:51 
BDCA Member

My last post was all from memory and having looked through my photographs I now believe that 96711 must have come from Motherwell to Thornaby about two or three years after my post suggested.

Dick