It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 12:49 
BDCA Member

Kirow heavy duty cranes - as breakdown/accident cranes...

On how many instances have any of these five cranes been hired in by Network Rail ( I mean by Network Rail specifically ) to do re-railing work.

I am aware of the Clapham Junction incident - where the responsibility for re-railing may well have been by the trackwork contractor on behalf of the sub-contractor whose crane had toppled, or was it indeed an NR hire or call?

There was also a derailed tamper at Gresty Lane that was put back on the rails - but I believe this was done entirely within the pre-existing possession.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 05:59 
BDCA Member

I've got pictures somewhere of Old Oak's breakdown train parked next to the toppled crane, I thought two NR teams attended to rerail?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 20:53 
BDCA Member

Do you mean this one?

Attachments:
toppled crane 6.jpg
toppled crane 6.jpg [ 73.48 KiB | Viewed 28768 times ]
toppled crane5.jpg
toppled crane5.jpg [ 88.78 KiB | Viewed 28768 times ]
toppled crane4.jpg
toppled crane4.jpg [ 91.26 KiB | Viewed 28768 times ]
toppled crane1.jpg
toppled crane1.jpg [ 76.54 KiB | Viewed 28768 times ]

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 23:21 
BDCA Member

Just found my two pictures, i can't upload them directly so i'll do it via photobucket tomorrow. They are pretty rubbish but they show a big yellow crane with telescopic jib at one end of the tandem lift to right the fallen crane.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 04:35 
BDCA Member

It's turning into a nightmare uploading these photos, not worth it for how poor they are. Old Oak's train is definitely in attendance and i presume the crane went with it?
I seem to remember the other crane came from up north somewhere?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 08:33 
Site Admin

Steve,

I can adjust the photos as necessary and upload them for you if you send them to me. You should still have my email address, if not they can be sent to the Contact address on the website. I'll leave it to you whether or not you go ahead.

Anyone else facing problems with uploading photos to the forum can likewise send them to me for actioning.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 10:27 
BDCA Member

David,

Thanks for the offer. I can adjust the pictures but trust me, they are pretty rubbish. They were taken from a passing train with a very basic camera.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 13:43 
BDCA Member

I too passed the site four times on passing trains - but not with benefit of camera to hand.
A long lunch hour out of the office!

OOCs crane and support coaches were there - and another Kirow, from the 'other' firm.

I just cannot remember if there was a second set of support coaches, but without their crane, from another NR depot.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 17:13 
BDCA Member

Slightly off topic but one of the larger Kirows derailed whilst lifting new switch & crossing panels in at Luton North Junction in 2009 (i think) and promptly recovered itself using its stabilisers to rerail the one axle that had derailed (all within a possession).
Whilst NOT breakdown cranes, what are group members views on including/excluding the five larger Kirow Cranes as part of this forum?
-
Kirow 100 Tonne Diesel Hydraulic-
DRK 81601 (2001)
DRK 81602 (2001)
Kirow 125 Tonne Diesel Hydraulic-
DRK 81611 (2004)
DRK 81612 (2005)
DRK 81613 (2005)
-
The five smaller 25 Tonne cranes (normally used as track layers) DRK 81621-625 obviously well outside the scope of the group.
Pic attached of two of these either side of a modular lifting beam at Leagrave Junction (Sun 15th 2012) which is being renewed over the next 2 months

Attachments:
File comment: two Kirow 25 Tonne diesel hydraulic cranes with lifting beam
LeagraveJcn.JPG
LeagraveJcn.JPG [ 95.44 KiB | Viewed 28734 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 22:40 
Site Admin

A good question, Rob, and my answer is that I feel strongly that we must keep to discussions relating to BDCs and recovery work in line with the forum sub-heading (Operation and recovery techniques; alternative methods and equipment).

Various views were received during the formation of the BDCA as to its scope, with one person writing to ask if all steam cranes of all types could be covered, another hoping we'd include foreign-built cranes, someone else suggesting we include all rail-mounted cranes, and another wanting us to totally exclude diesel BDCs.

The options were discussed and the conclusion reached that the BDCA must restrict very firmly to UK breakdown cranes. [I started to type out here the several reasons for this conclusion, but they'd make long and hard reading so I scrubbed them.]

I think any re-railing or recovery work that Kirows might do as pseudo-BDCs fits within the forum, as does Kelbus, MFD and Bruff recovery equipment, but we must firmly resist drifting into discussions about cranes used for p-way and structural purposes.

Incidentally, I think your post about the way in which one of the Kirows re-railed itself does scrape in as relevant, and it was interesting too! :)