It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 18:55 
BDCA Member

This collection has been posted elsewhere by a Neil Dimmer.

http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/ ... &k=Q7BCVDG

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 10:02 
Site Admin

A (virtual) prize for the first to spot a major flaw regarding the 18th photograph, the one showing a red BDC facing a latticed overbridge.

Clue: The crane is a 36/50-ton Cowans Sheldon built for the LMS in 1930 - but does it look like a CS? (A visit to the images of ADRC95202 or 95204 in the Gallery may help if you're struggling!)

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 18:49 
BDCA Member

15 and 16 are not even Rail cranes either.

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 19:27 

David Withers wrote:
A (virtual) prize for the first to spot a major flaw regarding the 18th photograph, the one showing a red BDC facing a latticed overbridge.

Clue: The crane is a 36/50-ton Cowans Sheldon built for the LMS in 1930 - but does it look like a CS? (A visit to the images of ADRC95202 or 95204 in the Gallery may help if you're struggling!)

Do you mean the absence of ropes, or do you perhaps you mean the fact that the photo is back to front?

Also I have just realised that Bryan had already brought our attentiont to this album in an earlier post - Thornaby Open Day 1992 - where there was some discussion of this photo and its location. The concensus of opinion was that the photo in qustion was taken at Derby since much of the crane is ib ex-works condition. The absence of ropes, which was previously un-noticed, tends to add further weight to this suggestion.

Note that the order of photos in the collection seems to vary, perhaps some kind of randomiser, so the 18th photo may not always be the 18th photo.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 09:45 
Site Admin

The question was aimed at a flaw with the photo, not with the crane, so the answer is indeed that the image is reversed. This makes it appear that the crank wheel is on the RH side and could lead to the crane being mistakenly identified as a Craven in the first instance.

I hadn't noticed the absence of ropes (otherwise there might have been two very exciting questions to answer!). Also I wasn't sure how the photos would display on other monitors, hence my reference to the latticework bridge in the subject photo.

The fact that we had already seen this string of photos also escaped my notice, but it's better to have too many than too few of course, so thanks to Bryan for keeping watch.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 11:30 

I had looked at that photo many times during the Thornaby thread discussion and I have to confess that it wasn't until looking for your flaw that I noticed the absence of ropes, and it wasn't until posting about the absence of ropes that I noticed the image was reversed, so I can't really claim to have been particularly observant!

What is interesting is that if you flip the image suddenly it looks like Derby, which it doesn't as currently displayed.