It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014, 11:42 
BDCA Member

Does anyone have any information on the breakdown train based at Southport in the late 1950's early 60s? The Riding & Tool Van allocated there in 1957 later moved to Northwich. From here it was acquired by the 8E Association, and then purchased and moved to the Dinting Railway Centre. When the Centre closed it moved to the KWVR, as part of the Bahamas Loco Society collection.
We've now had this vehicle externally restored (at RRNE Shildon) and are about to refurbish the internals for use as an 'educational facility' - part of the HLF funded project to overhaul our 'Jubilee' 45596 Bahamas.
We hope to explain the role of the breakdown train as part of the exhibition in the vehicle, and to this end would like to learn more of its role as DM395470, when in use at Southport and Northwich. Period photos of it would be brilliant - we don't have any!
For interest it started life as a corridor composite, and was built at Wolverton in 1924, to diagram D1694. It was converted as a Riding and Tool Van in 1957.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
DM395470.jpg
DM395470.jpg [ 103.99 KiB | Viewed 17448 times ]

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 19:32 
BDCA Member

Whereabouts in Southport was it based?
At the main shed 27c in Derby Rd or was it at Meols Cop works?

It may be possible that some of the former members of Steamport Southport may know more and it may be possible to contact them through Ribble Steam Railway at Preston especially through Dave Watkins or Chris Mills. http://www.ribblesteam.org.uk/contact
However with myself being a former regular member and volunteer at Steamport this is the first I have known of any breakdown train being based there.

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2014, 21:53 
BDCA Member

Bryan
If only we knew!
The BR Order for New Stock - in the NRM Search Engine - for the conversion of Corridor Composites to 'Combined Riding & Tool Van' states that Corr Comp No.3515 is to be renumbered DM 395470 and lettered MPM Southport. This lettering survived - and it is an assumption that this is where the vehicle went - but as to its location, we haven't a clue. We also have no knowledge of when it went to Northwich.
Hence this plea for help!

For interest, this vehicle was one of 5 converted for this purpose under the 1957 condemnation programme. The other four converted vehicles being lettered Hellifield, Westhouses, Coalville and Stoke.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 20:58 
BDCA Member

I think that this is one of those subjects that suffers from a total lack of any information.
If you want to know what loco was at what shed on any date in history, you can probably find it.
But if you want to know about the ancillary vehicle that lived in the same shed at the same time you have no chance.
By ancillary vehicle I include Breakdown stock and Snowploughs.
In my own case I can find 4 confirmed dates for my Snowplough NER 18 being at a particular shed or location. One of which is the BTF film "Snow Drift at Bleath Ghyll".

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/