It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014, 11:15 
Site Admin

The BDCA website is strictly non-advertising but there will come along occasionally an item or service that is on-topic and needs to be mentioned. One such is the recently published book 'Taking the Weight' by BDCA member Bob Willis.

The book is subtitled "Life from Apprentice to Tool Van Supervisor at Thornaby Traction Maintenance Depot, 1962 to 1990". It is a 150 x 210 mm softback with 192 pages and lots of black & white photographs (many of which are from fellow BDCA member Dick Watson).

I bought my copy last month and, having enjoyed it from start to finish, can recommend it to breakdown crane enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike. Breakdown and recovery work fills the book almost entirely from page 67 onwards.

Accounts written by retired railway workers seem always to be a good read as well as acting as a record of 'how things were'. In my view, Bob's book earns a place alongside the best of them.

The book is privately published and can be bought for £12 + £1.50 p&p. If you'd like to obtain a copy, drop a brief note on the BDCA website's 'Contact Us' form and I'll forward it to Bob. Alternatively, registered users of the forum can send a PM (private message) to him. He is number 28 in the members list that can be viewed by clicking on 'Members' near the top of this page.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 08:06 
BDCA Member

I totally agree with you David, the book was a great read and a reminder of my days in the breakdown.
At the end of the book you realise that there is a lot more Bob could have put in and speaking with him over the phone he confirmed this. Could we see a part two in the future!
Keep up the good work Bob.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 23:07 
Newly Regd User

Anyone know if a part two is going to follow?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 23:26 

Being an ex fitter and steam crane,diesel hydraulic driver at springs branch (Wigan TMD ) I can relate to a lot of the stories in the book a very good read and worth every penny.

Derek Gibson