It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam crane on the NNR
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 17:49 
BDCA Member

Hi David,

Would you have information about the steam crane that is on the North Norfolk Railway at Weybourne? Obviously a 'small' machine and it is undergoing restoration. Probably not a railway machine (British Rail) as such but from an industrial site.

Regards, Colin.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 21:00 
Site Admin

Hello Colin.

The North Norfolk Railway has a (5 or 6 ton?) Grafton crane, built in Bedford. I recall it being parked at one time at Holt, out of service, and it's good to know that it is now undergoing restoration at Weybourne.

Some NNR chaps kindly showed me over it several years ago and told me its history. It was built for the LNER in about 1939, so it is a railway crane (but not a breakdown crane of course). I'm afraid I can't recall the rest of its history offhand.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 14:39 
BDCA Member

I understood it as a ten ton capacity machine.

DE331332 LNER later BR DRG 80117
St 10T 6W G 2536/39 PSVD NNR

There are a number of similar beasties around - at Chatham Dockyard ( one at least in working order ); KESR; Colne Valley; KWVR; Brechin Rly.

There is a scan of it, at some time in the past, on the Paul Bartlett wagons website.
I think I have a BR(ER) diagram sheet for it.

Chris C

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 16:57 
BDCA Member

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your information on the crane at Weybourne on the North Norfolk Railway. This machine is currently undergoing restoration and when viewed last Thursday (April 21st) looks good but I guess there is still a long way to go: the boiler is still on walkabout and there is evidence of some major work needed on one of the main springs. Having said all that it does really look good and will, I'm sure, add to the atmosphere of the railway, plus the fact they have taken time to paint it all adds to the enthusiasm.

By what you have said, and the fact that it is not a Breakdown Crane, I can see it lending itself to being a Permanent Way machine. When my father was on the network in his role as a P/Way Inspector they would regularly use a Civil Engineers crane from the Cambridge P/Way depot for re-laying, I think that was located at Chesterton Junction! I do possess a great photograph of this machine in my collection.

Kind regards, Colin.