It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2013, 15:13 
BDCA Member

Some of the 45 tonners delivered during the war went out in a hurry in what looks like a mid grey undercoat but post war and into the 1960s the BDCs were either a very very dark matt gray ( one of those paints you can almost see and feel the metallic pigment particles ), or gloss black probably per BR Derbys standard spec. - some with white jib heads and sometimes white tails on the counterweight, red buffer beams usually, red rope pulley wheels sometimes and the snatch block often white and red. Not entirely standardised.

Only one large crane appears to have been in army green, though some smaller and later diesel types in the late 1950s and 1960s may have been ( i.e. the diesel bogie 10T Smith at Longmoor was one such).
The one large crane that did get repainted in Army Green - 62007, a CS 30 ton 10 wheeler, was dieselised, most probably at BREL Derby, and sent to Shoeburyness in that colour.

Later 1970s deliveries of small rail cranes were usually kept in suppliers signal yellow.

I very much doubt whether any of the BDCs ever went yellow! I have never seen evidence that BR Derby who did the major overhauls on the BDCs ever forgot themselves to that extent. The last shoppings were relatively early - 1978 say.