It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 18:10 
BDCA Member

A sequence of videos of the above cranes working on a bridge renewal, whether these be classed as engineers or breakdown cranes there is much of interest, and some humour, good films.

There are more crane vids to be seen posted by the film maker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fFn7zB- ... 8w&list=UL

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2012, 12:37 
BDCA Member

Indeed more excellent movie from Mr Da Silva - perhaps he should be invited to join?

5728 and 5729 are officially Bridge Department cranes and normally live in a compound a couple of hundred yards from Dematagoda old steam shed. Walk the length of the C&W Shop traverser and you will come to the compound. The Bridge Dept also has a couple of small 7 ton Graftons 5596 and 5597. ( 5604 would have been appropriate! ).

I need the works numbers of this pair - anybody visiting please contact me for where to find the works number of a Grafton.

The Locomotive Dept have 5841, a Cowans Sheldon of 1953 - works number 9587. It was under repair in 2010. Some movie of that would be good.

( Incidentally - if any one has the dvd of the Newton Heath R&R crane at work and wonders why one the staff appears to speak a couple of words of Tamil - the explanation is that the sound track came from a few thousand miles away and a couple or three decades later )

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2012, 12:57 
BDCA Member

Is that the DVD of the Newton Heath crane working at the Bluebell, dismantling Q1 loco?

Or indeed another in case I missed it...

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 12:55 

Chris,

I believe that the works number on Graftons was usually cast into some of the major components. I am sure that I remember finding the number of ours on the main bed casting for the crab.

I will check when I am next able.

Roger

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 14:27 
BDCA Member

Roger,

Usually only just once ( any other numbers are likely to be casting pattern numbers ) - centrally forward on the swivelling bed base plate, between the jib feet.
Graftons cast batches of the different sized bed base plates every so often - and numbered them at the time they were cast.
Thus crane works numbers are not strictly chronological, as they are based on take up of cast carriage bed plates, as originally cast complete with numbers!, from stock.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012, 14:36 
BDCA Member

The Newton Heath sequence was filmed by RF in the 70s on shed and appears in a production
( probably video ) produced by Bob Bridger who used to run a gallery and sales site under the 30937 Photographic Group banner. It appears the site is no longer up and running.
I'll look to see if I have a copy of the sequence.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 16:40 
BDCA Member

Many thanks first to Chris Capewell for the advice of the Newton Heath 1968 film of RS1083/45.

Have today received from Bob Bridger, many thanks to him, a personal copy, not for loan or uploading, of the crane at work (a minor lift) on the steam shed, 6 months ahead of the end of steam, and in colour - no sound. It's part of an interesting view of activity and sights around the shed, only 6 months to the end of steam and not a diesel in sight, so is likely to appear again in a new commercial DVD release.

This shows that the lined black livery lasted to the end of steam, red ends to crane carriage and bogies, livery highlights, the 550 gallon water tank on rear added after the end of steam when water was less available. Have seen several colour photos in the Breakdown Cranes volume 2 to support this, the cabside detail in colour too. The lengthy chimney extension was still in place, although not always in use it seems. Great to see these references, they all help when it comes to restoring the look of the crane as it was.