It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 16:56 
BDCA Member

DB Netz AG in a news release have stated they are acquiring five new emergency trains and cranes with an investment of around 60 million euros in modern technology to ensure availability of the rail network.
Kirow, Leipzig will provide three 160 ton telescopic cranes and two 100 ton telescopic cranes.
The new equipment will replace existing trains, which were originally introduced since the mid-1970s, over the next six years.
The crane trains consist of five vehicles. The actual emergency crane, a crane tender car, a back truck, a combined sleeping and sanitary car and a combined residence, workshop and power car.
The support vehicles will be supplied by Tatravagonka, Poprad for undercarriage and bogies, and Gföllner, Greiskerchen for superstructures and fitting out.
They will be stationed in Wanne-Eickel, Fulda and Leipzig and available all around the clock, 365 days a year.

When will NetworkRail feel the need? The 75 tonners are into their midlife............

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 22:57 
BDCA Member

I think that in the eyes of NR once the current Breakdown Trains are worn out, that's it. They'd rather do what they can with jacks and hire road cranes for the rest.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2012, 10:23 
BDCA Member

Jacks and the hire of road cranes is OK, but when you are out in the middle of nowhere and the only access is rail and maybe a dirt track if you are lucky, what will the railway do then?
Classic example is 66734 down the bank at Loch Treig in Scotland, has it been recovered yet?
Perhaps NR need to get a large helicopter, unfortunately the largest one the Mil Mi-26 will only lift 109.350 Lbs/49.6 Tonnes, coaches and wagon only with the odd small shunter thrown in.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2012, 13:52 
BDCA Member

Different rules and decisions apply with different operators/different countries railway administrations.

Germany appears to believe in a small fleet of BDCs.

France has but one for the whole country.

Other european/scandinavian railways have variously just one, a couple or so.

China has several dozen, as does India. Admittedly in totally different operating environments.

Most, if not all of the Australian states do without. ( Q'land still may have a couple of CS 60 tonners in commission? )

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2012, 13:59 

I believe that 66734 at Loch Treig is being interred there since the authorities have decided that it cannot be recovered economically. None of the current breakdown cranes can access the line due to RA issues, and there is of course no road access. The loch is landlocked so there is no possibility of using a floating crane, and even a barge big enough to support a 66 is a problem, since it would have to brought in in small pieces (due to the poor road access to the loch) and built on site. The location of the loco also makes dismantling nearly impossible, and from what I have read the decision has been taken to stabilise the loco, presumably remove pollutants such as coolant and oil which might otherwise leach into the loch, and leave it where is is!

Personally I find this extraordinary, though I can undertand that in this bizarre age where decisions are made by accountants anything is possible, but I cannot image that a breakdown foreman 50 or so years ago would have accepted this. Admittedly it wouldn't be an easy recovery by any means, but I am sure it could be done.