It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 14:27 
Site Admin

13 new photographs have been uploaded to the Gallery, with thanks to Dave Bowden, Ian Kay, Greg Martin, Rob Morel and Dick Watson.

The photos feature the following cranes:
Cowans Sheldon: RS1087/30, ADRC95221, ADRC95222 and ADRC96701
Ransomes & Rapier: ADRR95208 and MP7 (filed under later number RS1012/36)
Other Makes: Stothert & Pitt 36-ton crane for the GWR

As always, a quick way to get to the new photos is to go to http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php and click on 'Latest Photos...'. Best to then click on the Title of each photo so as to be taken to the display proper.

EDIT: The 'Latest photos...' facility (and others under "Available RSS Feeds") appears to be incompatible with touch-screen devices. See Roger's post of 17th Jan, below, for direct links to the latest photos.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 14:14 

David, a very interesting assortment of photos! Thank you for putting them up, and thanks also to those good folk who have submitted them.

I think that the photo of the boiler end of 95221 is particularly interesting. As you say it is rare to find photos of this crane prior to conversion, and although there aren't many obvious peculiarities to be seen this was of course BR's only oil-fired steam breakdown crane. I never really understood why it wasn't converted to coal firing once in BR's ownership since I am sure that to have one anomalous crane must have been inconvenient.

Nice also to see the GCR's 45 tonner at work again, though I think it is possibly overkill for erecting that scaffold tower!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 20:53 
BDCA Member

David.
Tried to see the photos and followed your directions but got a page of text.
Did I miss something?

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2015, 21:43 
Site Admin

Hello Bryan,

What computer system are you using? As I mentioned above, the shortcut to "Latest photos..." doesn't function with some devices, including my iPad for instance (instead it takes me to a page entitled "My Podcasts" which does nothing!). However it's fine with my desktop computer running Windows 7.

Where the shortcut fails to work it will be necessary to go directly and individually to each album. The new photo(s) will often, but not always, be the last in the album.

The Gallery is based on freeware which, I discovered rather too late, is a little unrefined. Unfortunately, moving the 600+ photos and captions to a better system, if one exists, would be without doubt beyond my capabilities.

I'll browse the internet for an easier solution but am not hopeful to be honest. It would help if other members experiencing a similar problem would let me know so that I can judge the severity.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 07:34 
BDCA Member

Hi David

I had the same problem as Bryan. I did what you suggested by looking for them individually and that was OK, but a bit of a fag.
I am running Windows 8.1

Regards Mick

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 09:33 

It worked correctly for me on a Windows 7 PC, but not on Android devices.

For the benefit of those similarly troubled, here are individual links to each of the 17/01/15 updates - these are simple hyperlinks so should work with any device.

GWR 1

RS1012-36

RS1087-30

ADRC96701(1)

ADRC96701(2)

ADRC96701(3)

ADRC95221

ADRR95208(1)

ADRR95208(2)

ADRR95208(3)

ADRR95208(4)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 10:32 
Site Admin

The "Latest photos..." malfunctioning appears to apply to touch-screen devices in general, judging by the reports from Mick and Roger on top of my own experience.

Roger, thanks very much for taking the trouble to provide a link to each new photo. It hadn't occurred to me to do that but it will be done for future batches.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 13:21 

No probs, and I am happy to do it for later updates if it saves you time.

The "Latest photos..." feature is, I presume, automatic after an update?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 18:11 
Site Admin

I may take you up on that kind offer, Roger, but I really ought to be able to find the time to do it myself (I've now almost caught up with the domestic jobs that awaited my early-retirement in 2001!).

Yes, the "Latest photos..." feature is (supposed to be) automatic as the photos are added. It has never worked well though, the results always suffering some jumbling and other annoyances.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2015, 19:00 
BDCA Member

David Withers wrote:
Hello Bryan,

What computer system are you using? As I mentioned above, the shortcut to "Latest photos..." doesn't function with some devices, including my iPad for instance (instead it takes me to a page entitled "My Podcasts" which does nothing!). However it's fine with my desktop computer running Windows 7.

Where the shortcut fails to work it will be necessary to go directly and individually to each album. The new photo(s) will often, but not always, be the last in the album.

The Gallery is based on freeware which, I discovered rather too late, is a little unrefined. Unfortunately, moving the 600+ photos and captions to a better system, if one exists, would be without doubt beyond my capabilities.

I'll browse the internet for an easier solution but am not hopeful to be honest. It would help if other members experiencing a similar problem would let me know so that I can judge the severity.

David
I use a desktop with Windows 7
No touchscreen

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/