It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Marshalling in trains
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 17:43 
Newly Regd User

This may seem like a strange question, but does anyone know if there were instructions for marshalling cranes in breakdown trains, i.e., whether they ran jib first or jib trailing. I am specifically interested in the Midland Railway's Cowans Sheldon 15 tonners and many years ago was told by someone who worked at Bescot in the 1920s that they ran better with the jib trailing; also, I have yet to see a photograph showing one in a train with the jib leading. Obviously it wouldn't have been possible to run them in a given direction all the time although with the widespread availability of large enough turntables it would have been possible to turn them much of the time. It has also been suggested to me that when they did run jib first they were subject to a reduced speed limit but I have not been able to find any documentary evidence of any of these points. Can anyone help?

Dave Hunt

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 21:43 
BDCA Member

On the Dutch Railway was an regulation about the traveling with the 2 krupp-ardelt breakdown cranes . On the regulations said where the cranes are traveling on the traks , exspecelie obout the bridges , and Amsterdam Central station , only via Trac 8 ,there where on track 8 no stations roofs . The maximum speed was 80 Kilometers /our , so the Diesel loco,s 2400/2500 where built for max 80 kilometer/our .

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 08:28 
BDCA Member

As a rule all our cranes were jib to London, when I worked at Brighton and to the best of my knowledge all the depots I visited had the same, apart from the depots in the inner London area, IE: Stewarts Lane.
It is the same as up and down lines in general up is to London and also platform 1 is usually towards London, there are exceptions to the rule I know. I am talking about the south and south west of the country, as regards the Midlands Railway Up was towards Derby.
Regarding the direction of the jib when running we ran both jib first and last without any problem.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 18:30 
BDCA Member

Not with regard to Breakdown cranes but to Plasser / Cowans 12t PW Cranes
When planning Ballast trains that included rail cranes in the makeup, I used to consult with the relevant Supervisor allocated to the overall job and ask which way he wanted the jibs facing.
As at times we needed the cranes to be a particular way round eg Short end North on site, if 2 cranes 1 short end North and 1 short end South etc. Or both Short end same direction.

Similar problem but much more serious was to get the Sleeper delivery train (Slinger) the right way round as its jibs faced Left or Right on site and if wrong the job could be cancelled if the train could not be turned.

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2019, 08:52 
BDCA Member

The ‘white pages’ Working manual for rail staff used to state BreakDown Cranes should be marshalled immediately behind the hauling Locomotive to and from site, although this instruction disappeared in later years, I don’t recall any instruction stating Jib direction. The behind loco instruction was all about trailing weight