It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ADRC96718 for auction
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2021, 20:03 

I am sure that many members of the BDCA and other visitors to this forum will be aware of the catastrophic financial problems faced by the Llangollen Railway at the moment, and will, I am equally sure, like me have their fingers crossed that a way forward which allows the railway to survive as a going concern can be found.

It has however just been brought to my attention that there is an auction to be held by Lambert Smith and Hanson by order of the Joint Administrators on 12 May 2021 from 2.00 PM, which is to include ADRC96718.

ADRC96718 was a 45-ton crane built by Cowans Sheldon under Works No. 8053 for the War Department in 1943, and was built as an oil-fired steam crane. Upon demob it was sold to British Railways' London Midland Region in 1960 where it was numbered RS1085/45, and later given CEPS number ADRC95221 which it carried until conversion from steam to diesel-hydraulic in May 1986.

It is now one of only two breakdown cranes built for the MoD or MoS to have survived. Let us hope that it continues to do so.

Details of the auction can be found at the URL below:

https://www.lsh.co.uk/assetadvisory/online-auctions/llangollen-railway-plc-auction

PostPosted: 12 May 2021, 16:38 

Well, the auction has now finished, with some healthy bidding on most lots. All the Mk1 carriages made over £30k each, and ADRC96781 closed at a hammer price of £26500 which with 16% buyer's premium plus 20% VAT makes the total £36888.

The Plasser 12t crane closed at a hammer price of £24000 which with 16% premium plus 20% VAT makes a total of £33408.

If anyone knows where the two cranes are off to, please do tell if you're allowed to.

PostPosted: 12 May 2021, 20:03 
BDCA Member

ADRC96781
Was it in working order?
It says so in the BDCA details but how old is that data?
Also there is a 2nd 45t crane listed, where is that now ?
Or wasn't that up for sale?

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 13 May 2021, 18:40 

Sorry, Brian, where did you see the second 45-tonner listed?

As far as I know there have never been two there at the same time, but many years ago DS1580 was there for a while, I believe.

I believe that at present it is operational but no longer capable of self-propulsion due to damage sustained by the travelling gears, but I can't immediately remember why I think this - who told me - so I may be wrong.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 07:19 
BDCA Member

Hi Roger & Brian.
It may have been me that told you about the travel gear, I was at Llangollen railway 17-07-2012 when ADRC96718 was working doing a boiler lift and the crew that was operating her told me.

Attachments:
LANG1.jpg
LANG1.jpg [ 196 KiB | Viewed 16152 times ]

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 18:47 
BDCA Member

Ín the Data files ADRC95221 ADRC96718 are the numbers listed in the box.
Or did it get renumbered on conversion?

http://www.nymr-pway.co.uk/

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 23:26 

Yes, renumbered on conversion.

It is being reported on "social media" that it has been bought by a metal recycler for scrap, which if correct will be sad. I am a little surprised at the hammer price if this is the case, I would have thought the margins would be small, especially since the buyer was supposedly told scrapping on-site would not be sanctioned.

PostPosted: 15 May 2021, 14:44 

The text below has been copied from the "Unofficial Llangollen Railway Facebook Group":

As has been mentioned elsewhere, our 50 ton Cowans Sheldon crane has been purchased by a scrap merchant, who we understand wishes to break it up on site. This is an historic vehicle and we understand the only one of its kind left operational, having being built for the MOD as a steam crane, acquired by BR and converted to diesel operation as a breakdown crane. We understand the total purchase price (including VAT and buyers premium) was around £35k. We have had the begging bowl out for some time now and many folk have already donated money to our successful appeals. However, if anyone wants to help try and make a last ditch attempt to save this historic vehicle please contact the LR Trust as soon as possible (trustllanrail@gmail.com). Transporting the crane is likely to be prohibitively expensive and require partial dismantling, which is what is likely to have put other preservation purchasers off, so the most cost-effective and ideal solution (for us at least!) would be for the vehicle to stay on the railway.

The brief history stated is correct, but an additional unique feature of this crane is that because it was supplied as an oil-fired steam crane to the MoD, when it was bought by BR it became the only steam breakdown crane BR ever owned which used an oil-fired boiler, which must have caused some interesting logistical and operational challenges.

The price paid does seem remarkably high if it has been bought for scrap, even without the VAT (which no doubt is reclaimable). The crane is likely to weigh around 120 tons, which would make the hammer price around £260 per ton. There will be a reasonable weight of non-ferrous material, but even so this seems to allow little margin especially by the time that transport and cutting is taken into account.

If anyone with deep pockets and a desire to save the crane reads this, please follow the request above and contact trustllanrail@gmail.com

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 18:01 
Site Admin

Mike Williams, Operations Director for Llangollen Railway Trust, sent us the following message this evening:

"I have good news on the Crane. This morning the Llangollen Railway Trust came to an agreement with the Scrap Dealer who purchased it and it will now stay at the railway for the foreseeable future. The railway also have the option to purchase it in the future".

PostPosted: 17 May 2021, 18:02 

Some excellent news, hot off the press from the Unofficial Llangollen Railway Facebook Group:-

Some great news about our Cowans Sheldon crane. Allister Boote from Sandbach Commercial Dismantlers Ltd has met with several LR representatives on site today. He has very kindly agreed to keep the crane in one piece and on the railway for the foreseeable future. The Railway also have the option to buy it back over an extended period, including offsetting the value raised from supplying day-to-day scrap materials to SCD. A great idea! Our urgent priority obviously remains on raising funds for the re-opening of the railway later this year (and both the Rolling Stock and Full Steam Ahead appeals are still open), but watch this space for details of specific fundraising to support the crane. Sincere thanks to Allister. His kind support is very much appreciated.

The BDCA would like to join the many Llangollen Railway supporters who have posted their thanks and commendations on the Facebook page in thanking Mr Boote and SCDL for their refreshing and generous approach.

This is the second occasion on which members of the metal recycling industry have contributed in a huge way to saving an historic crane from scrap (MP21 being the first), and it is also worth remembering the co-operation provided by another member of the industry in allowing parts of DS1560 to be recovered.