It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello - Simon Grego
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 00:47 
BDCA Member

Hi,

I've been involved with rerailing and recovery for over 30 years, joining BR in 1980 straight from school, and apprenticed at Tyseley TMD, but my first breakdown was in 1981 when I was sent to Saltley when in my second apprentice year...and I was hooked, since then have been on the breakdown team at Tyseley, as a BRUFF driver, and also on the vans/crane when they were moved to TYS from Bescot.

I also later in life, when working for EWS, inspected the ex Brighton Crane so it could be moved (after repairs) to LNWR at Crewe.

Also for EWS i was one of the on call Engineers in the Former Anglia and Southern region based at Old Oak, and did several interesting jobs.

Now I'm a Senior Engineer in Freightliner both in the UK and its Polish subsidiary, but still have the breakdown side, attending major incidents as a TOLO, and general other derailments, we have breakdown equipment based at Crewe and Southampton for minor incidents, I also train and assess personnel in the methodologies of recovery and MFD.

I still have to this day affection for this type of work, and have built full breakdown trains in both N and OO guage, and have just completed a OO (4mm) gauge BRUFF.

I look forward to some interesting topics, and hopefully ones I can interact with.

Many regards

Simon

Post subject: Re: Hello - Simon Grego
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 09:07 
BDCA Member

Hi Simon,

You mention your time at Tyesley and Saltley. I just wonder if you ever came into contact with a Mr Terry Kenna? This 'gentleman', now 85 years of age, is my next door neighbour. What a guy, full of stories of the life he loved and when the railways were run by railwaymen! He constantly tells me of the fact he has driven all forms of traction: Steam, Diesel and Electrics. Just a query.

Regards, Colin J Rush.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 19:42 
BDCA Member

Hi Collin,

Tery's name does ring a bell, If I saw him then I'd probaly remember, I was at Tyseley from 1980 to 1989, then Saltley from 1989 to 1992, but did apprentice turns at Saltley, and was also a relief fitter there from TYS about 1986, when they were short of fitters, I used to go over from Tyseley.

Saltley was a great depot to work at, I owe a lot to them, shame the whole place has now been flatterned.

Regards

Simon

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 11:00 
BDCA Member

Hi Simon,

Terry, my neighbour, has forwarded some more names for you browse over (and apparently your name to him is familiar): Brian Johnson, Jeff Brookes, Peter Howells, Stan Kidsley, (?) Stanyard and (?) Link. He started his career at Monument Lane but, as I have said, spent a lot of time at Tyesley, Saltley and Bescot plus a limited time on New Street Station. In fact at 85 he still travels monthly to Tyesley to the 'club' of which he was the President (I think) for a time. The engine that Terry 'passed out' on was none other than 6201 Princess Elizabeth! Anyway, great to talk to you.

Regards, Colin.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 11:31 
BDCA Member

Collin,

indeed I do know some of those names:

Geoff Brookes, was a mechancial forman at Saltley up to about 1984, then transferred to Tys as a WS "C" forman, always smoked a pipe.
Peter Howells, was the Area maintenance Engineer at TYS, he did my interview for being an apprentice.
Stan Kidsley, I know of him , but before my time.
Stanyard, I assume that you mean Brian Stanyer, A good Foreman at Tys.

We also had an ex Monument lane fitter at Tys, Bob Innet Or more commonly known as the S**t Magnet, he the only bloke I know that could get dirty by putting his clean overalls on!

Ask him if he remembers Tommy Burrows, one of Tyseleys characters who finally retired in about 1986, nobody realy knew his age.

He should also remember other Saltley fitters, such as Micky Merril, and Harry Wooton to name a few.....

Incidently, with regard to 6201, I used to work with Mike Stainer, the grandson of said Sir William, Mike was a great chap to work with, but was more into Land Rovers rather than railway engines!

Regards
Simon