It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 12:02 
BDCA Member

Hi guys!!

though i would add a couple of lines here just to put into context my crane obsession!!

a few years ago my son, 3 at the time, received a 00 gauge Hornby 75 Ton crane as a birthday present. Now as 0 Guage fan is started to think that this would be great as a scratch build project. first i needed a prototype to copy. after many emails to various places i was contacted by David Withers. Pop down and see our crane he said. well unfortunately i did and that was it!! 4 years later, i have brass 0 gauge kit in progress and have recently started the slightly bigger 5" gauge version!!.

over the past few year i have had the chance to work on MP3 and see its transformation to tip top condition. the highlight has to be teh hot riveting!!

In terms of railway background, i have non!! i write software for a WiFi chip design company, so that might explain why some of my post may sound like garbage!!! ;-)

Cheers

Alex

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 14:50 

Alex, welcome to the forum! I am looking forward greatly to seeing both your models completed. When/if you put the Gauge 'O' kit into production, please put me down for one.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 21:36 
Site Admin

Here's the proof of Alex working on the full-size MP3. He is the one in white overalls and I'm sure there must be people who would recognise him from that angle even if you can't! :lol:

I'd better explain: Alex was being held upside-down by his dad Alan as he investigated the means of adjusting the running clearance of the slewing ring roller race.

Attachments:
File comment: Alex gets down to the job
P1050495-forum.jpg
P1050495-forum.jpg [ 90.89 KiB | Viewed 15499 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 21:57 
Site Admin

For those who don't know him very well (and would like to?), the photo below shows the other end of Alex. ;)

Alex, Alan and I had just completed slewing and lowering the jib of MP3 using the NVR workshop's 10-ton gantry crane. This was in November 2008, the very first day of the general overhaul and repainting operation, and I felt that a commemoration photo was called for.

Attachments:
File comment: We did it!
P1050483- forum.jpg
P1050483- forum.jpg [ 81.5 KiB | Viewed 15499 times ]

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 13:59 
BDCA Member

Ah, two very handsome looking fellows! ;)

A warning to others is required here. David and my dad are very good at playing the "we are too old" card. the head first experience was quickly followed by the shimmy under and climb up inside it request!!

Ok yes i did enjoy it!!