It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011, 12:23 
BDCA Member

Hi

I started my training with BR back in 1974 and soon after going to my first depot at York I was out with the breakdown team to Dringhouses Yard to re-rail a Consett iron ore hopper that was on its way for scrapping. I found it fascinating (I also learnt how to play dominos for money!).

During my time with BR I was involved with the breakdown gangs and their cranes at Cardiff Canton (75 ton steam and converted to diesel whilst I was there), Landore, Swansea (45 ton steam crane), Danygraig Swansea (civil engineers cranes), Wolverhampton (civil engineers cranes), Bescot (75 ton diesel), Crewe Diesel and Stratford.

Perhaps a claim to fame is when there was a derailment at Trecwn Armaments depot, where all visitors have to surrender matches and lighters etc. at the gate, I managed to persuade them to let the Landore steam crane in! Mind you their internal fire brigade was on hand with a hose pipe pointed at the crane in case.

All in all some very enjoyable times spent out with the cranes.

David B.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 12:31 
BDCA Member

David,

On the Templot website you say you are interested in the CS 15 ton 'class' of machine - for modelling maybe?, UK versions only? I can edit my listing for UK and exported machines of that type and forward. I also have a couple of pictures taken by John Brownlie; although they may be a 20 tonner ( Neath 1950s )
I assume you have seen material on these published by ( group member ) Peter Tatlow.

For the Templot forum it should be noted that CS didnt go bust - theyd been part of larger groupings since the late 1950s - but Clark Chapman/Rolls Royce Mechanical handling/NEI or whatever they were called at the time withdrew to the Gateshead premises. It was at this time that Alan Earnshaw collected what he could from skips in Carlisle.

There is still a descendant of CS in Carlisle - a firm called Des-Cad took over some of the business and intellectual property that CC didn't want.

I have somewhere a note of 'mini-howlers' in the Earnshaw book - confusing the two SARs being one!

ps Dave Rollins recalled being amused by having to hand in smoking materials when taking a steam loco into Coryton refinery sidings.