It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NZR RR 15-ton No.124
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 09:52 
BDCA Member

Not exactly a breakdown crane, but for many years one of New Zealand Railway's larger cranes was the 1944 Ransome & Rapier 15-ton crane acquired by NZR shortly after the war. Its now in preservation at the Silver Stream Railway near Wellington, NZ. There's a short Youtube video of this crane making a boiler lift at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1KHweGWep8

A short view of this crane can also be seen in the SSR advertorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFMDU4mwXA at about the 3.55 mark. Its described as the "Te Rapa crane" after its location for many years.

Phil.

Post subject: Re: NZR RR 15-ton No.124
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 10:41 
Site Admin

As you say, Phil, not a breakdown crane. However I found it interesting to be able to compare some of the features of this engineers' crane with the R&R breakdown cranes of the same era, noting for example that it has horizontal cylinders as were used on the BDCs until the advent of the inclined cylinder 45-tonners in 1940.

Incidentally, I was able to call up the first YouTube clip without problem but when I clicked on the second one a message appeared saying: "You will no longer be able to sign in to YouTube without a Google Account", said to be for "security reasons". What on earth is the security risk of watching a video clip on YouTube!!